A friend invited me to her 6 year old daughters birthday party the other day.
My first thought was "Awesome excuse to bake cookies".
I didn't want to make the typical "kids" cookies, no animals, princesses or dinosaurs.
I went for my trusted sugar cookie recipe with some bright color blocked frosting.
May I say they where a big hit….Yes I may.
I was the "cool" uncle that brought the cookies.
I can live with that.
Basic Sugar Cookies
This is a basic, simple cookie recipe that never fails to please.
Makes about 30 cookies
1 stick salted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add the egg and beat it well into the mixture.
4. Add flour, baking powder and vanilla and mix until combined.
5. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before use.
6. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface.
7.Cut out cookies and transfer to a parchment-paper-covered baking tray.
8. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until just golden.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
10. Store in an airtight container.
The decor is simply confectioners sugar, food coloring and water.