Have A Hoppy Day!
YOU WILL NEED:
felt, in white and pink
pink fabric dye
hot glue gun
needle & thread
wire (floral wire or a thin wire from a hardware store)
- Fold a piece of paper in half.
- Trace half of the bunny mask on the paper. The shape is basically an upside-down heart that doesn’t come to a point. Instead of a point, the heart opens up into the shape of the bunny’s ears.
- Hold up the drawing to your child’s face to make sure it fits.
- With the paper still folded, cut out the drawing. This will be your pattern.
- Trace the pattern, and cut the pattern out on white felt.
- Cut two pieces of wire a little shorter than the bunny ears.
- Cut another piece of wire that is the length of both bunny ears combined, plus three inches.
- Bend the long cut wire into a U-shape.
- Hot glue the U-shaped wire onto the back of the bunny’s ears. The lowest part of the U should be just above the forehead area on the mask.
- Hot glue one or two long scraps of the white felt on top of the U-shaped wire to hide and secure it in place.
- Hot glue the two shorter wires to the bunny ears on the front of the mask.
- Cut two rectangles out of the pink felt that are about one and a half inches wide and the same length as the shorter wires.
- Round the tops of the rectangles with your scissors. These will help create the bunny ears.
- Glue the pink felt pieces on top of the wires to hide them.
- Cut a small, two-inch circle out of the pink felt. Then, trim away two tear-drop shaped pieces at either side, leaving a half-inch of the circle intact. This will be your bunny nose. The idea is to create a mushroom shape. You can also cut a simple triangle if you prefer.
- Hot glue the pink felt nose at the center bottom of the bunny’s face.
- Hand sew twine in the shape of whiskers on either side of the nose, leaving the ends long and loose. I used contrasting thread for a more interesting look.
- Hold the mask up to your child’s face and mark where their eyes will be. Cut out two almond-shaped eyeholes in the bunny mask.
- Sew ribbons on either side of the mask just above the eyes.
- To make the flowers, dip three or four coffee filters in the pink dye and lay flat to dry.
- Once the coffee filters are dry, twist the centers of them to create a flower shape.
- Hot glue the flowers to the mask below one of the ears. You can have as many flowers as you like!
Made it? Tell us about it–