4 blood oranges
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
pinch of salt
1 cup of sugar, to toss peel
- Peel citrus, being careful to remove as little of the white pith as possible.
- Cut citrus peels in desired shapes (I chose ribbons).
- In a heavy bottomed pot, cover the peel with 2” of cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then drain the peel.
- Repeat this process 2 more times to remove any bitterness from the citrus peel.
- Bring 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add the citrus peels to the pot and cook until translucent. Depending on the size of your peels, this will take about 15 minutes.
- Toss the slightly dried citrus peel in sugar to coat.
- Dry the peels on trays for 1 to 2 hours more until they have firmed up slightly.
- Store in airtight containers.
Made it? Tell us about it–