A simple and inexpensive cotton tarp from the hardware store can be transformed into a luxurious dyed bedspread that will make you happy every time you see it! Think outside the craft store for your next project.
Standard Bedspread sizes with a 21 inch hang:
FULL 96 x 96 inches
QUEEN 102 x 101 inches
KING 120 x 101 inches
large bucket or bin
- Buy the correct size tarp for your bed. If it's larger than you need you can cut and hem it. You can also join two tarps together with a simple seam with your sewing machine.
- Prepare the dye in a large bucket as instructed on the bottle. I used a whole bottle of dye on my spread. Use plastic gloves.
- Fold up the tarp and figure out what end you want to dye.
- Place parts of the tarp in the bucket and let it sit for 1 hour. The longer it sits, the darker the color.
- Remove the tarp from the dye and rinse the tarp in warm water until the water comes out clear.
- Use dye fixative to make sure the dye doesn't fade. Follow the directions on the package of fixative.
- Let dry completely and make your bed!
Made it? Tell us about it–