Beautiful and inexpensive gift wrap made from dyed coffee filters. You can use the filters to wrap small gifts or use them to make ornaments for larger gifts!
Coffee filters are a very inexpensive and sturdy craft supply, especially when you buy them in bulk. You can transform them into so many decor pieces in a rainbow of magical colors with Rit Liquid Dye! They’re stronger than tissue paper and hold up great from year to year. When I was a boy in Norway, the holidays were strictly red and green, so now when I plan my theme each year I pick whatever colors I want. Last year everything in my house was blue, but this year I’m going with red, pink, and orange!
Rit Fabric Dye
Clothesline or Drying Rack
For the gift wrap:
Small gift boxes
dyed coffee filters
tape or paper glue
- How to dye coffee filters: Cover your work surface with plastic, dyeing can be messy! Prepare a dye bath by mixing tap water and Rit Liquid Dye. The ratio of water to dye depends on how many filters you’re dyeing and how vibrant you want them to be. For my BRIGHT filters I mixed ⅓ cup dye with 1 quart of water.
- To dye the filters simply grab a stack of filters and dip them into your bath for a few seconds until they absorb as much dye as you want. I wear latex gloves for this part!
- Remove filters from the bath and allow to drain for 1 hour. Separate the filters and hang on a clothesline or drying rack until completely dry.
- To wrap the gifts: Use the coffee filters as wrapping paper by folding it around your gifts.
- Secure edges with tape or paper glue.
- Use ribbons and yarn as decoration.
You can also bundle 4 coffee filters together, fold into 1/4 and twist the bottom. That way you will get a beautiful flower gift topper.
Order bulk packs of coffee filters online or purchase them at a wholesale club!
Made it? Tell us about it–