So fun and simple to make!
you will need:
Cardboard tubes from center of paper towels or toilet paper
Quart plastic containers (recycled deli containers work well)
Tempera paint in desired colors
Plaster of Paris
- Cut paper towel tubes in half or use toilet paper tubes as is. Tape off one side of each tube with duct tape, being sure to completely seal the end.
- Cut freezer paper into 6-inch squares and line each tube with one piece.
- In a plastic container, mix plaster of paris as directed, in correct ratio, being sure to first mix 2 tablespoons of desired color of tempera paint with the water used to make the plaster. Mix slowly while adding Plaster to water/paint mixture, until completely combined.
- Using a rubber spatula to help, fill each prepared tube with the plaster mixture. Tap tube on work surface to release air bubbles.
- Plaster will set in about an hour, and can be removed from the tube after about two hours.
- To remove chalk, first peel away duct tape, then peel away the cardboard tube, and finally, peel away the piece of freezer paper.
- Once chalk is removed from tube, place on a cooling rack and let dry completely (1 to 3 days depending on humidity) before using.
Made it? Tell us about it–