This cake is loosely based on a Spanish "Tarta de Santiago" or Saint James Cake, and it's naturally gluten free.
2 1/2 cups (260g) Almond Meal - I used Trader Joe's
1 1/4 cups (260g) Demerara Sugar - I used Sugar in the Raw
6 large eggs separated
Zest of 2 clementines & 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
Confectioner's sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 340F. LIne the bottom of a 8" springform pan with parchment and lightly butter the pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat sugar, egg yolks and zest on medium-high until light and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Mix in the almond meal and flavoring to your yolk mixture.
- Clean your mixer bowl and dry completely. Add egg whites and beat to stiff peaks.
- Scoop a bit of the egg whites into the almond mixture and mix together. Add the whites bit by bit and mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- bake for 35-40 minutes until cake is golden and done.
- allow to cool and remove from pan.
- decorate with confectioner's sugar. I used heart shaped stencils.
Made it? Tell us about it–