Serve this delish dish on hot buttered naan! Text + Photography by Ellen Silverman + Recipes by Manju Malhi from “India with Passion: Modern Regional Home Food,” Interlink Books, 2005
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
10 ounces green beans, topped and tailed
1 large white or red potato, peeled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds pinch of cumin seeds
1 medium spanish onion, finely chopped
1 green finger chili, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2⁄3 cup water
- Cut the green beans into 1/4-inch-long pieces.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch-cubes.
- Heat the mustard and cumin seeds with the oil in a small frying pan.
- When they start to pop, add the onion and chili. Fry for a minute and add all the spices along with the green beans and potatoes.
- Cook for two minutes, pour in water, and cook over medium heat for 12–15 minutes.
- Serve hot with buttered naan.
Made it? Tell us about it–