I love using dried figs in cake. The taste can’t be matched—and they also make the cake very moist.
1 lb dried black Mission figs
2 cups water
1⁄2 cup amaretto
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup walnuts, toasted
confectioners’ sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the figs and water in a saucepan and simmer until the figs are tender.
- Place in a blender with amaretto and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Beat together sugar, oil, and eggs until smooth.
- Add the figs and mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, spices, and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a well-greased and well-floured bundt pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until firm to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack and then turn onto a platter.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Made it? Tell us about it–