With the perfect blend of apples, honey, spice and almonds, this pretty tart will become a family favorite.
China squirrel traveled 90 minutes south from her home in Sydney to the picturesque town of Darkes Forest to spend an afternoon picking apples at a family-owned orchard. Here she shares her favorite apple recipes with us.
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
12⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
11⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
51⁄2 ounces firm butter, cut into cubes
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
31⁄2 ounces butter 1⁄4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch ground cloves
2⁄3 cup almonds, ground
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
4 small Granny Smith apples juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon milk
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
11⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon water
- For the pastry: Place flour, sugar, and salt in a large food processor bowl.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add iced water a tablespoon at a time. Pulse until a soft ball forms. Do not over mix.
- Form into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the FRANGIPANE: Place butter and honey into a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until creamy.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, egg, ground almonds, and flour. Mix until well combined. Cover and set aside.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of parchment paper to form a 12-inch x 10-inch rectangle.
- Remove top layer of baking paper. Trim edges of pastry to neaten, if needed. Lift baking paper and pastry onto a baking tray.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, spread the frangipane evenly over the pastry. Refrigerate 10 minutes while you prepare topping.
- For the topping: Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. Mix apples and lemon juice together in a medium bowl.
- Mix egg and milk together in a small bowl for egg wash.
- In a small separate bowl, combine nutmeg and brown sugar.
- TO CONTINUE ASSEMBLY AND MAKE GLAZE: Remove pastry from refrigerator and arrange apples in rows, slightly overlapping on top of frangipane. Fold edges of pastry over ends of apples to form a border.
- Place the tart into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, brush pastry edges with egg/milk wash. Sprinkle pastry and apples with brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake a further 30–35 minutes or until tart is golden. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.
- Place honey and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil, and then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Remove tart from oven, and brush pastry and fruit with hot honey glaze. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–