Rich flan filling topped with apples make this tart so special!
Makes five 4-inch tartlets or one large 9-inch tart
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
Apple flan filling:
5 to 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 large eggs
5 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- For pastry crust, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the food processor and pulse to aerate. Add the diced butter and pulse ten times until the butter is the size of peas. Add the ice water and pulse until it comes together. Transfer the dough to your work surface and knead a couple of times. Wrap it in plastic wrap, flatten it, and form it into a disk.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thick and fill tartlet molds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cover the tartlets with parchment paper and fill the cavities with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and parchment and bake an additional 10 minutes. Prepare the filling in the meantime.
- For the filling, arrange the apples over the pre-baked tartlets.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and heavy cream. Pour this mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes until crust browned and custard over apples set.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–