The most amazing combination of layers of thinly-sliced potatoes sandwiched with shredded gruyere cheese, wrapped in bacon, and slowly roasted in the oven!
Get your holiday inspiration here:
There is no better way to describe this dish than delightful. The grease from the bacon will cook the potatoes and, mixed with the cheese, it's one of the best things I have ever tasted. Eat as is or serve alongside a good steak.
11/2 pounds bacon, sliced (but not too thinly)
3 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 370ºF.
- Layer the bacon like a fan in a cast-iron skillet.
- Add a layer of potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and add a third of the cheese.
- Continue with two more layers.
- Fold the bacon over the cheese layer and bake for about 11/2 hours.
- With a small, sharp knife, test for doneness all the way through
- Let dish sit 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Made it? Tell us about it–