A snowy day is the perfect day to bake a cake... or a dozen.
For the cake:
3 large ripe bananas
13⁄4 sticks butter, room temperature
11⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
13⁄4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
7 oz soft toffees, cubed
For the topping:
1 stick butter
31⁄2 oz chopped walnuts
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 370°F.
- Butter and flour a 10” loose base cake tin.
- Mash the bananas using a fork. Beat the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating on high speed.
- Combine the dry ingredients and the toffees.
- Fold the flour mixture into the batter, alternating with the banana mash.
- Pour into the tin and bake on the lowest rack of the oven for about 45 minutes.
- For the topping, measure all ingredients into a pan and stir.
- Cook for a few minutes. Spoon the mixture onto the prebaked cake.
- Keep baking for about 10 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
- Check with a stick. If the top of the cake is brown but the cake is still underbaked, cover with tin foil.
- Before inverting it, let the cake rest for about 15 minutes in the tin.
- Leave the tin over the cake in order to keep the cake moist.
- Serve as such or with vanilla ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–