This is my go-to fall stew. It’s easy to make—you can make it in a pot or a slow cooker. The result is always tender meat and flavorful sauce.
1 tablespoon butter glug of olive oil
2 lbs beef stewing meat, cubed
1 large carrot, cubed
2 celery stalks, cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 small can crushed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 large butternut squash, peeled, cubed
salt and pepper, to taste
Sriracha sauce, to taste
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot and brown meat on all sides.
- Remove meat and add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion goes soft, and add meat, tomatoes, stock, and thyme.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes, add squash, and simmer until meat is done.
- Season with salt, pepper, and as much Sriracha as you can take.
Made it? Tell us about it–