2 lbs beef stew meat
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 shalotts, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small celery root, peeled and chopped
2 cups red wine
2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 fresh thyme sprig
- Cut the meat into cubes and season well with salt and pepper.
- Lightly dust with flour.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown the meat in batches. Set aside.
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery until the onion is soft.
- Add wine, stock, tomato paste, sugar and thyme.
- Add the meat and stir well.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Made it? Tell us about it–