This is one of the Beekman Boys’ most popular recipes. It calls for their Blaak
cheese, but you can also use another hard cheese of your choice.
salt, to taste
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 qt fresh goats milk (or whole cow's milk)
1 stick butter, divided into
6 tablespoons &
2 tablespoon pieces
½ cup all purpose flour
12 oz BLAAK or other hard cheese(remove rind and grate 4 cups)
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the macaroni, and cook according to instructions. Drain.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Whisk in the warm milk, a little at a time.
- Cook until thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese, mustard, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the macaroni and mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking pan.
- Melt the 2 remaining tablespoons of butter and mix with the breadcrumbs.
- Place on top and bake until golden. This will take about 30 minutes.
Made it? Tell us about it–