So fresh -- use whatever berry you like best!
6 eggs +3 eggs
3⁄4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1⁄4 cups plain flour, sifted
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg yolks
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
2 cups blueberries (or other berry of your choice)
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat 6 eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the butter and stir well.
- Add flour and baking powder and beat until the batter comes together.
- Pour into 2 greased 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until they are set and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For the curd: Place 3 eggs, yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a metal bowl.
- Stir well and place on top of a double boiler.
- Whisk until the curd starts to thicken, about 6–7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Let cool.
- Place 1 layer on a stand and spread with half the lemon curd.
- Add half the blueberries on top, and then another layer of cake.
- Spread with the rest of the curd and add the rest of the berries.
- Leave the cake in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–