This Spring dessert will make your family swoon!
Serves 4 to 6
1 1⁄2 cups diced rhubarb
1 1⁄2 cups blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries
2⁄3 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla bean (seeds)
splash of freshly squeezed orange juice
3 1⁄4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1⁄4 cup sugar
1 organic egg, beaten
2⁄3 cup self-raising flour (or 2⁄3 cup all-purpose + 1 teaspoon baking powder)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 or 2 tablespoons milk
Recipe by Imen McDonald
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 1-quart baking dish
- Combine diced rhubarb, berries, sugar, vanilla bean, and splash of juice. Set aside for one hour.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the egg and beat until well blended.
- Sieve the flour and fold into butter, sugar, zest, and egg mixture.
- Add milk to create a dropping consistency.
- Pour fruit mixture into baking dish.
- Spread batter over fruit mixture.
- Bake in center of oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, dust with caster or superfine sugar.
Serve cold with warm vanilla custard, or even better, warm with a big scoop of brown butter ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–