This is a wonderful side dish for a cold-weather potluck!
1 1/4 cups balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups black lentils or French green lentils
6 cups chicken stock or water
salt & pepper, to taste
6 slices of speck
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil+more for drizzling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 small red onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 heads radicchio
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Simmer vinegar in a small non-reactive saucepan until reduced to about ¼ cup. This will take about 8–10 minutes. Once done, set aside.
- Bring lentils, stock, and salt and pepper to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are just tender. This will take about 25 minutes.
- While lentils simmer, brush both sides of speck with olive oil and place on a baking sheet, being careful not to overlap slices.
- Bake until speck is golden brown and crisp. This will take about 8 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter, stir in celery, onion, garlic, thyme. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Cut radicchio into quarters and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast on a baking sheet until edges are charred. This will take about 8–10 minutes. (For a little extra char, you can briefly broil after roasting.)
- Drain lentils and stir into vegetables.
- Cook together for 1 minute.
- T o plate, serve speck on top of lentils. Place charred radicchio on top, and drizzle with balsamic syrup and olive oil.
Made it? Tell us about it–