The blood oranges gives this dish a wonderful taste. Try it à la mode.
6 nectarines, pitted and cut in half
½ cup sultanas
¼ cup+4 tablespoons sugar
½ cup water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
1 vanilla bean, cut in half and seeds scraped out
2 blood oranges, cut into wedges
1²⁄3 cups unbleached flour
4 tablespoons butter, cold and
½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In an ovenproof dish place nectarines, sultanas, sugar, water, cinnamon, star anise, and vanilla bean.
- Squeeze the oranges over the dish and add the flesh too.
- Combine flour and ¼ cup sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and work it in with your hands. The result should be crumbly.
- Add the milk and work the dough together.
- Roll it out in a little flour and use a cookie cutter or a glass to make biscuits.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden. This will take about 15–20 minutes.
- Discard oranges and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–