Holidays are a time of indulgent giving, and this decadent cake will sweeten the long, cold winter for you and the ones you love!
Photography by Johanna Levomäki. Food by Jatta Heinlahti. Styling by Minna Lilja
Get your holiday inspiration here:
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 2 lemons
14 ounces frozen blueberries
11/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons crushed salty licorice (salmiak) or sweet licorice
FOR THE CAKE:
11/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup almond flour
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
butter and almond flour to prepare the pans
FILLINGS AND TOPPINGS:
1 portion of blueberry and
17 ounces lemony cream cheese
2 tablespoons blueberry powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup diluted lemon juice
2 cups blackberries
- For the jam: Wash the lemons and zest them with a fine grater. Squeeze the lemon juice from the lemons.
- Put all ingredients in pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes.
- Let the jelly cool and place in fridge. The mixture will thicken and turn jelly-like in the cold.
- Prepare the jam the day before making the cake.
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar into a fluffy, white foam.
- Mix all-purpose flour, almond flour, and baking powder together. Slowly combine the flour mixture with the egg foam.
- Butter two 8-inch round cake pans, and dust them with almond flour. Divide the batter between the pans, and bake in the bottom position of the oven for 30–40 minutes.
- Let cool and cut each cake in half horizontally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, blueberry powder, and vanilla sugar.
- Position first layer as the base, and moisten with diluted lemon juice, and spread 3/4 of the cream cheese filling over the cake. Place the second layer on top of the cake base, moisten, and spread 3/4 of the blueberry jam on it.
- Place the next layer on top, moisten, and spread both the remaining cream cheese filling and blueberry jam on it. Place the last layer on top, and top the cake with blackberries.
Prepare the jam the day before making the cake.
Made it? Tell us about it–