The greek yogurt makes this snack cake so moist and the chopped basil will knock your socks off! Basil in cakes is my new secret ingredient! This lovely, subtly flavored cake with a moist crumb would be perfect for a picnic or garden lunch.
11⁄2 cups + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
21⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
11⁄2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
15 fresh large basil leaves, finely chopped
1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries + 1⁄3 cup for decoration
insecticide-free, fresh wild basil flowers for decoration (optional)
For the frosting:
scant 1 cup cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease and line the base and sides of an 8-inch deep, round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift 11⁄2 cups flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy, about 6 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla, lemon zest, salt, and basil until well combined.
- Stir in half the flour, then the yogurt, and finish with the remaining flour until it’s just combined, taking care to not overmix.
- In a separate bowl, toss blueberries in 2 teaspoons of flour until coated. Add blueberries to cake batter, shaking off any excess flour, and mix gently to incorporate.
- Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan, spreading evenly using the back of the wet spoon.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake’s center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla. Then, while mixing, gradually add cream.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over top of cake using a flat-bladed knife.
- Decorate with basil flowers and extra blueberries.
Made it? Tell us about it–