Sweet Paul partnered with Nielsen-Massey Vanillas to share one of his most treasured childhood cookie memories. Brune Stenger translates into “brown sticks” in English. They’re a dark shortbread with lots of spice and vanilla flavors topped with crunchy chopped almonds and the secret ingredient... vanilla sugar.
The Winter months of my Norwegian childhood were dark and cold in the outside world, but full of love and warmth inside my home. My favorite childhood memories involve helping Mormor bake away the Winter doldrums in our little kitchen in Oslo. Brune Stenger translates into “brown sticks” in English. They’re a dark shortbread with lots of spice and vanilla flavors topped with crunchy chopped almonds and the secret ingredient... vanilla sugar. When I was a boy Mormor would make her own vanilla sugar with the leftover pods, but today I simply grab a jar of Nielsen-Massey’s Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar at my local grocer.
Makes 40 cookies
14 tablespoons salted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
For the topping:
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and mix well.
- Mix in corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- Using your hands mix in flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Divide dough into four pieces and roll each part into a sausage-like tube.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper, press each piece flat.
- Brush each piece with egg and sprinkle with vanilla sugar and almonds.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for 1 minute.
- Use a sharp knife and cut into 3/4" wide slices and allow to cool completely. Can be stored for up to 2 weeks in a tin.
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas is on a mission to delight people with nature’s finest tasting vanillas and flavors. As pure vanilla and flavor specialists, our story is more than a hundred years in the making. In business since 1907, the Nielsen-Massey brand has built an enviable reputation for the quality and consistency of its pure vanillas. VisitNielsenMassey.com to discover high-quality vanilla and flavor products.
Made it? Tell us about it–