This nettle soup is really delicious, particularly if you use the new and tender shoots.
2 to 3 cups tender nettle shoots (or young leaves)
10 shallots (or 2 yellow onions)
5 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
11⁄2 quarts good-quality vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse the nettles thoroughly and pick the leaves off the stems.
- Chop the leaves well.
- Peel and roughly chop the shallots and garlic.
- Clean the leeks and finely slice them.
- Heat a bit of olive oil, then cook everything until the onions start to soften.
- Add the stock, bay leaves, and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with warm baguettes and homemade herb butter.
Made it? Tell us about it–