I've always enjoyed a good lemon cake and this is one of my favorites.
For the cake:
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the candied lemons:
1 cup water
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy - about 4 minutes.
- add eggs one at a time, mixing well between eggs.
- add remaining ingredients and mix well until incorporated.
- Pour batter into a well-greased 9-inch cake tin.
- Bake about 30 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes then remove cake from pan and put onto serving plate.
- For the candied lemons, Place water, sugar and lemons in a small saucepan and bring to boil
- Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes and then allow to cool for at least a half hour.
- Decorate the cake with the lemon slices and pour on some of the syrup just before servin
Serve with sour cream or whipped cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–