Part of the traditional 13 desserts from Provence, France!
Perfumey and chocolatey with a little spike of salt. If you like the classic combination of orange and chocolate, you will love these little treats.
You will need:
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
small palmful star anise
2 navel oranges, sliced crosswise, ¼” thick
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large straight-sided skillet, bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Add the star anise and orange slices and simmer over medium-high heat, turning the slices occasionally, until the liquid gets syrupy. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat slightly and continue cooking for 10 minutes until the liquid gets even richer.
- Transfer the orange slices to a wire rack lined with wax paper and let cool in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, in a small glass bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring with a spatula between each interval, until just melted.
- Carefully dip 1 side of each orange slice in the melted chocolate and return to the wax paper lined tray to cool.
- Finish with Maldon salt.
Made it? Tell us about it–