This is a great base recipe for any vegan ice cream flavour. Pure coconut cream whips just like dairy cream and has a rich and creamy taste.
3 cups coconut cream
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup caster (or super fine) sugar
1⁄3 cup water
- Place coconut cream, coconut sugar, and vanilla bean paste into a saucepan and stir constantly over a medium heat until large bubbles form on the surface. This will take around 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Refrigerate overnight in a sealed, air tight container.
- Line a 9”x11” baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the caster sugar and water into a heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat until all sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to simmer over a high heat until mixture has turned a rich toffee color. Do not burn!
- Pour toffee onto a baking tray and gently move the tray to thin out the toffee over the baking paper.
- Pour nicecream mixture into a compressor ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes or until thickened and frozen.
- Crack the toffee using the handle of a heavy knife and place into a Ziploc bag.
- Wrap in a tea towel and hit with a rolling pin until it has broken into small pieces.
- Add to nicecream and allow to churn for a further 2 minutes.
If using a pre-chilled bowl ice cream maker, churn until firm. Timing will vary.
Made it? Tell us about it–