A classic shortcake topped with fresh berries and a wonderful basil cream!
2 quarts strawberries, quartered
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blueberries
12 basil leaves
2 limes, zest
1½ cups sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon basil lime sugar
pinch of salt
1 lb butter
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream or heavy cream
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For sugar, place basil leaves on plate covered with paper towel.
- Cook in microwave on medium-high heat in 30-second increments until the basil dries out. Depending on your microwave, it takes about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a spice grinder or blender, blend the sugar with the lime zest and basil leaves until fine. Should make approximately ½ cup of sugar.
- Mix the berries and toss in basil lime sugar to taste. Let macerate.
- For the basil cream, steep basil stems and salt in heavy cream on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Strain, then chill.
- Whip on low speed to soft peak.
- Add 1 tablespoon of basil lime sugar.
- To make the cake, prepare angel food cake pan or simple tube pan with butter and dusted with flour.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light in color.
- Add eggs 1 at a time until incorporated.
- Alternately add flour and sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest and extracts.
- Put in oven; turn oven to 300°F; and set timer for 80–90 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Oven should not be pre-heated when making cake!
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then flip out.
- Cool completely on rack or plate and slice.
- Serve with berries, cream, and basil sugar, and enjoy!
Made it? Tell us about it–