China Squirrel has channeled her inner gypsy to create a collection of recipes and crafts using all the pretty things we love about spring.
Delicious carrot cake doughnuts topped with a creamy icing. We dare you to stop at one!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2¼ cups carrot, grated
1 lb cream cheese, softened
2 cups pure confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
pink and peach food coloring
white sanding sugar and edible violets for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 2 x 10 (1 ⁄3 cup capacity) donut baking pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Place brown sugar and oil into a large mixing bowl; use an electric mixer to combine.
- Add yogurt and beat well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Mix in the sifted flour mix using a wooden spoon.
- Add carrots and stir until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared donut pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10–12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into a donut comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto wire racks.
- Allow to cool completely.
- For icing, place cream cheese to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until smooth using an electric mixer.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Divide icing into thirds, and spoon into three separate bowls.
- Use food coloring to tint one icing pink and another apricot, leaving the remaining icing white.
- Spread donuts with icing, sprinkle with sanding sugar, and decorate with violets.
Made it? Tell us about it–