This was a beloved dish from the ‘80s that kind of fell out of grace for a while. We are bringing it back, because this is good stuff.
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups warm milk
salt & pepper, to taste
1 large cauliflower head, in larger
pieces, steamed to al dente
2 cups grated Gruyère
½ cup grated Parmesan
6 slices pancetta, crispy
chives, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Stir for 2 minutes but make sure it does not get brown.
- Add milk a little at a time and stir well so you don’t get any lumps.
- Add grated Gruyère and Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Give the sauce a good stir. If it feels too thick add some more milk.
- Place the steamed cauliflower in an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce on top.
- Bake until golden. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Serve with pancetta and some chopped chives.
Made it? Tell us about it–