I call this a gardener’s pie instead of a shepherd’s pie since there is no meat. The cauliflower mash is so good and can be served on its own as a great alternative to mashed potatoes.
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
8 asparagus, thinly sliced
1 small can of lentils, drained
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme
pinch of red chili
- Cook the cauliflower in salted water until soft
- Drain, and add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Use an immersion blender to turn it into a thick mash.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and sauté onions, carrots, celery, and asparagus until tender.
- Add the lentils, onion powder, thyme, chili, and some salt
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with the cauliflower mash
- Place under the grill for a few minutes until golden
- Serve warm.
Cauliflower mash can be me made as side dish instead of mashed potatoes or it can be grated and served as a rice type side dish.
Made it? Tell us about it–