Wonderfully spiced beef patties that are perfect for celebrating Ramadan or just for a weeknight meal!
Manal Aman is a young Canadian and a rising craft star. She also happens to be Muslim and entreated me to do a Ramadan story together. As I think it’s
always important to learn about other traditions, and I was inexperienced with the customs of Ramadan, I jumped at the chance! We sat down over a cup
of coffee and talked about everything we have in common: our love of food, crafts, and our inspiring grandmothers!
1 lb ground beef
1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
2 teaspoons chaat masala
1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
3⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
1⁄4 cup chopped mint
1⁄4 cup chopped tomato
1⁄2 of a green chili, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chickpea flour
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed with mortar and pestle
- In a fine colander, drain water from beef really well.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Divide beef into 6 balls. With wet hands, press down on each ball and flip between hands back and forth till a patty is formed.
- Oil a saucepan and cook on medium-high heat for a few minutes on each side.
- Enjoy with a fork and chutney.
Made it? Tell us about it–