A Maia du Plessis Mediterranean inspired dish.
handful of pine nuts
4 oz Kefalotyri cheese
olive oil, for serving
sherry vinegar, to serve
- Make a fire, heat up a gas BBQ, or set your oven to grill.
- Place peppers directly in the coals if you have a fire going, or grill them whole. Turn the peppers until blackened on all sides and tender.
- Place in a plastic bag and close. This steams them in residual heat, making the skins easier to peel and the peppers tender. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, the skins will come off easily in your hands. Scrape out the seeds and pith, and slice them into strips.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot pan; toss; and watch closely that they don't burn.
- Place peppers on a platter; grate or thinly slice the cheese; season with sea salt and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and sherry vinegar.
Kefalotyri is a hard, salty white cheese made from sheep milk or goat's milk (or both) in Greece and Cypru.
Made it? Tell us about it–