Such a classic yet satisfying dessert!
You will need:
2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted
1⁄3 cup pistachios, chopped
¼ cup sugar
½ cup flour
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon amaretto
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
¹⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9-inch gratin dish.
- Toss in the cherries and pistachios.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth.
- Add the milk, amaretto, vanilla, lemon zest, and nutmeg and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 40–50 minutes until golden brown, puffed, and just set in the middle. It will deflate immediately upon cooling, that’s okay.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve by the scoopful.
If you don’t have the wherewithal to pit all those fresh cherries, or they are simply out of season, throw some thawed frozen ones in there instead.
Made it? Tell us about it–