This version is more chicken liver and less butter, so you can eat it any and all the time. It’s perfect served on grilled bread topped with sour cherry compote.
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 lb chicken livers
6 springs thyme, leaves and tips only
2 large pinches Maldon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, +more for storing
pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon dark rum
- Place shallots, chicken livers, thyme, and 1⁄3 cup water in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and turn down to medium low.
- Simmer until chicken livers are cooked through, 3–5 minutes.
- Pour into a food processor.
- Add the salt, butter, cinnamon, and rum.
- Process until smooth.
- Transfer the pâté to your favorite small jars/ramekins, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
- If you don’t plan to eat it right away, cover with a thin layer of melted butter to seal, cool until hardened, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
I love keeping some ramekins in the freezer to break out for last minute entertaining. Leave it out at room temperature for an hour or 2 and it’s ready to serve!
Made it? Tell us about it–