From the Winter 2014 issue of Sweet Paul.
Makes about 4 dozen
You will need:
11⁄2 cups all purpose flour
1⁄3cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
11⁄2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
demerara sugar, for rolling
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg white and vanilla and beat to combine. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Dust your hands with flour and shape into a disc.
- Cut disc in half and shape each into logs about 8” long and 11⁄2” in diameter.
- Roll in demerara sugar and wrap well with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut into 1⁄4” slices and arrange cookies on baking sheets 1” apart.
- Bake, in batches if necessary, until cookies are soft but dry. This will take about 9 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Made it? Tell us about it–