A mix of bread and cake made wonderful with cardamom. Perfect with butter and a piece of cheddar cheese.
Makes 1 large loaf
1⁄2 cup whole milk
1⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄2 stick butter
1⁄4 cup water
21⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
21⁄2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup raisins
1⁄4 cup chopped candied ginger
- Place milk, sugar, butter, and water in a pot and heat up.
- Stir until butter has melted.
- Pour the warm liquid into a mixing bowl and let cool to 80°F.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top and leave for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Stir in flour, salt, and cardamom, and work until a smooth dough.
- Work in the raisins and ginger.
- Let rise for 40 minutes, form into a loaf, and place on a parchment paper-covered baking tray.
- Brush with melted butter and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
Made it? Tell us about it–