I found this recipe in an old spiral bound community cookbook and updated it a little bit!
1 Bundt Cake
For the cake:
1 stick of butter (113 grams)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 cup Coca-Cola (I used Mexican Coke with real sugar)
2 cups white sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Royal Icing:
1 egg white - beaten until lightly frothy
About 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar (with more if you need to thicken)
Little bit of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a bundt pan. (Do not flour it) Melt butter, cocao, and coca-cola in a small saucepan and bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- In your stand mixer add your flour and sugar.
- Pour in the coka/chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Put the baking soda in with the buttermilk and mix well and set aside.
- Add vanilla and first egg and mix until incporated.
- Add second egg and buttermilk mixture and mix until totally incorporated.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan. It is a pretty thin batter.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes so that the cake will pull back a little and allow you to flip it out of the pan easier.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Mix all the ingredients into your royal icing. Beat it well. You want it to be very thick so that it will just ooze down the side of the bundt a bit and look really pretty. You can add a littl emilk to it if it's too thick or more confectioner's sugar if it's too runny.
- Once the cake is cool, pour a thick band of icing along the top and allow it to sllide down the cake. Allow the cake to sit until the icing is fully set and hardened on the outside.
You can use egg white substitute in the icing if you wish!I think adding some RUM flavoring to the frosting and or the cake would be AWESOME.
Made it? Tell us about it–