Rich and silky flan flavored with turmeric ginger chai concentrate and flaked coconut!
My friends at Rishi Tea have the most fabulous assortment of products and flavors! I was so inspired by the Rishi Turmeric Ginger Chai Concentrate that I decided I must incorporate it into a classic coconut flan recipe. Well, I'm so glad I did! The result is the most silky flan witha deep sophisticated flavor profile. You're going to make this recipe again and again!
Read my Fall 2017 Issue:
3/4 cup sugar
1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
7 ounces Rishi Turmeric Ginger Chai Concentrate
21 ounces whole milk
14 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
4 large eggs
- Melt the sugar over low heat until golden brown, about 4–5 minutes.
- Carefully pour melted sugar into a 6-cup baking pan (I used a Pyrex pan), and rotate to coat the sides with the caramel. Set aside to allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Open and pour the contents of the sweetened condensed milk can into a mixing bowl and retain the can.
- Fill the empty can halfway with chai concentrate and fill it the rest of the way with whole milk. Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Fill the can again, but this time only with whole milk. Add milk to the mixing bowl.
- Fill the can with sweetened coconut flakes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add 4 eggs to the mixing bowl.
- Mix well with an immersion blender or electric mixer.
- Pour flan base into the pan that you’ve prepared with caramel.
- Cover well with aluminum foil and place the covered pan into another baking pan. We’ll create a water bath for the flan by setting the pan within a pan onto your oven’s middle rack. Once in the oven, fill the outer pan with hot water.
- Bake flan in water bath for 45 minutes to 1 hour until completely set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, carefully invert the flan onto a plate with edges. Slice, or scoop, and serve!
Made it? Tell us about it–