Cucumber has such a watery and summery taste, and the smaller ones tend to pack a real flavor punch. I also use small fennel bulbs here, and slice them as thinly as possible—the larger varieties tend to get a bit tough if they’ve been in the ground for too long.
Serves 4 as a main, 6 as a starter
You will need:
10 oz small, Lebanese-style cucumbers, chopped
3 bulbs baby fennel
10 oz baby spinach leaves
1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or apricots
1⁄2 cup goat cheese
1⁄3cup olive oil
21⁄2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 lemon, just the juice
- Mix together ingredients for the dressing in a jar.
- Season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Peel the cucumber into ribbons using a potato peeler.
- Slice the fennel very thinly. Now is the time to use a mandolin if you have one.
- Toss together in a large bowl with the spinach, hazelnuts, and cranberries.
- Add the dressing and mix well.
- Serve with a few dollops of goat cheese, salt and pepper.
Made it? Tell us about it–