- Stir gelatin and water in a small bowl until dissolved.
- Put sugar in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, without stirring, until sugar at edges begins to melt and turn clear.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until amber. It takes about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in water.
- Set it aside to cool of.
- Whisk eggs and yolk in a bowl.
- Bring cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt to a simmer in a pan.
- Whisk half of the hot cream mixture into the eggs.
- Pour it then back into the saucepan.
- Add gelatin, Reduce to low, cook, stirring constantly, just until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- Cool and pour into small ramekins or bowls.
- Let the crème caramels set, pour the caramel sauce over and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–