These potatoes are to die for! So crispy and perfect and they go to a whole new level when you top them with homemade BACON JAM!
For the potatoes:
12 medium potatoes
For the bacon jam:
12 oz bacon
2 brown onions, sliced
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1⁄2 cup strong brewed black coffee
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- For the potatoes: Preheat oven to 400oF. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry potatoes, leaving skins intact.
- Place potatoes into a large bowl; add 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat well.
- Transfer potatoes to lined baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer easily inserts into the center of potatoes.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Working 1 at a time, gently squash each potato using a potato masher or large fork.
- Brush potatoes with olive oil and bake a further 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with Homemade Bacon Jam.
- For the bacon jam: Roughly chop the bacon.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over a medium heat; add bacon and cook, stirring until bacon is tender, but not brown, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from pan to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Add onions to pan and cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in brown sugar.
- Cook for 8–10 minutes, stirring until onions are caramelized.
- Stir in cooked bacon, coffee, water, vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into a food processor and pulse until mixture is coarsely chopped.
- Serve warm.
Bacon jam can be stored in a clean sealed jar in the refrigerator. Warm bacon jam before serving and eat within 2 weeks.
Made it? Tell us about it–