I can still remember having this for the first time in Paris as a kid. After tasting it, I made my parents have lunch at the same place for a week.
2 tablespoons butter
1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup warm milk
salt & pepper, to taste
8 thick slices of good bread
8 slices ham
4 oz grated Gruyère cheese
4 fried eggs, sunny side up
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the flour.
- Stir for about a minute, but don’t let the flour go dark.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring until you have a smooth sauce. If it’s too thick, just add some more milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Add some sauce, ham, cheese, and another piece of bread.
- Bake in the oven until golden.
- Serve hot with a fried egg on top.
Made it? Tell us about it–