Baby it's cold outside, so stay inside and make this moist, delicious date cake.
For the cake:
9 oz dates
1⁄2 cup espresso
1⁄2 cup water
11⁄2 sticks butter, room temperature
3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
11⁄4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons potato starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
For the topping:
1 stick butter
31⁄2 oz whole almonds and chopped walnuts
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat the oven to 380°F.
- Chop the dates straight into a pan.
- Add the espresso and water.
- Cook over low heat under a lid, stirring occasionally until the dates are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir until it melts. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cream the eggs and sugar.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Using a sieve, add the mixture into the egg mixture.
- Add the crème fraîche and the date mixture.
- Fold quickly until smooth.
- Pour into a buttered and floured cake tin.
- Bake in the lower rack of the oven for about 50 minutes.
- For the topping, measure all the ingredients into a pan and stir.
- Cook for a few minutes. Pour the mixture on the prebaked cake.
- Keep baking for about 10 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
- Check with a stick.
- Before inverting it, let the cake rest for about 15 minutes in the tin.
- Leave the cake tin over the cake in order to keep the cake moist.
Made it? Tell us about it–