Inspired by the classic flan recipe that most Latin American grandmothers have in their repertoire!
You will need:
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
3 large eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup milk
edible gold leaf for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF
- Whisk together cocoa powder, heavy cream, sweet and condensed milk, espresso powder, and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- In a different bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold whites into the cocoa mixture.
- Divide into ovenproof ramekins (silicone molds are ideal) and bake in a water bath, covered with foil for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
- Allow them to chill completely before unfolding.
- Serve directly on plates. Garnish with gold leaf.
Made it? Tell us about it–