Once you know how to make this, you'll be able to whip one up at a moment's notice!
7 oz semisweet chocolate (45–50% cocoa)
1 cup butter +more for greasing
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee, to bring out the deep chocolate notes
Berries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9” spring-form cake pan with non-stick paper and grease the pan.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it, with butter, in a heat-proof bowl, over hot water.
- Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
- Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, using an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. This will take about 35–40 minutes.
- Use a knife to separate the cake from the non-stick paper.
Use cocoa powder or powdered sugar for dusting!
Made it? Tell us about it–