These sweet little donuts are a modern twist on the traditional jam-filled donuts we all have fond memories of eating as a child. Can be served with whipped cream if desired.
Makes about 18
You will need:
31⁄4 cups all purpose flour
1⁄4 cup+1 cup super fine sugar
3 teaspoons dried yeast
pinch of salt
8 fl oz milk, warmed
31⁄2 oz butter, melted
3 egg yolks
canola oil, to deep-fry
8 fl oz store bought dulce de leche
- Combine flour, 1⁄4 cup sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add in milk, butter, and egg; mix until dough starts to come together.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then cover with a tea towel.
- Place bowl in a warm place for 11⁄2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Roll out dough until 1⁄2” thick.
- Cut into 18 rounds using a 2” cutter.
- Place on a baking paper lined tray.
- Set aside in a warm place for a further 15 minutes to rise slightly.
- Place 1 cup sugar onto a plate or tray.
- Heat oil to 360°F.
- Working in batches, deep-fry donuts until golden and puffed, turning occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove donuts from oil, and drain on absorbent paper, then roll donuts in sugar to coat.
- Spoon dulce de leche into a piping bag fitted with a plain 1⁄4” nozzle.
- Push the nozzle into the top of each hot donut and pipe caramel into the centre.
- Serve warm.
Made it? Tell us about it–