When tomatoes are in season and at their best, it is a great idea to make multiple quantities of this easy pizza sauce and freeze it for later use. It also works well heated and served as a quick pasta sauce.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
14 oz ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon mixed herbs, freshly chopped (thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, flat leaf parsley)
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add garlic and onion, and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon tomato mix into a food processor or blender and pulse until thick and pulpy.
- Return to saucepan and bring to a boil, then continue stirring until sauce thickens—about 5 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
Made it? Tell us about it–