Ebleskiver are a Danish speciality that can best be described as small pancake spheres. Often filled with jam, I find them easier to make with fresh berries.
You will need an ebleskiver pan to make this recipe. Get one HERE.
MAKES ABOUT 25
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
13/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup blueberries
confectioner’s sugar, for serving
maple syrup, for serving
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg yolks and buttermilk.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and fold into the batter.
- Heat the ebleskiver pan over medium-high heat, and add about 1/2 teaspoon butter in each well. The butter is warm enough when it starts bubbling.
- Add 1 tablespoon of batter to each well, and let it cook about 4 minutes. Add 3 blueberries to each and, using two wooden sticks, like skewers or chopsticks, flip the ebleskiver over. Cook until golden brown on the other side. Total cooking time is about 6–7 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, dust with confectioner’s sugar, and drizzle with maple syrup.
Made it? Tell us about it–