These vanilla cupcakes with raspberry meringue cream are based on the classic British dessert, Eton Mess!
4 oz butter, soft
²⁄3 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups self-rising flour
¼ cup milk
8 oz fresh raspberries
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 oz store bought white meringues, crushed
fresh raspberries for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line 12 ½-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Place butter, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, sifted flour, and milk into a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on a low speed until ingredients are combined.
- Increase speed to medium and beat until mixture is smooth and pale in color. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Spoon into paper-lined tins.
- Press 1 raspberry into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until cupcakes are golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow cupcakes to stand 5 minutes in tins before placing onto a wire rack to cool.
- Place remaining raspberries in a bowl, roughly mash with a fork, and set aside.
- Place cream and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold in raspberries and crushed meringues.
- Frost cupcakes with cream and decorate with extra raspberries if desired.
Made it? Tell us about it–